Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Just Another Movie ?

It became a rather unsatisfying week to the not-so-much movie maniac in me..three of the latest Tamil movies Chandramukhi,Mumbai express,Sachien seen within a week, and here I am yelling at myself.."Why dont I just learn to, see only the movies that i really want to ??".. And thats what i did..

I have heard from my old Rwandan friends, back in college days about the civil war in their country in 1994. When they told me about a million lives lost during that war, I might have said "Oh ! my god ! thats terrible", and probably continued eating my dinner after a 30 second pause.

And there was a scene in the movie Hotel Rwanda, where the lead actor Don Cheadle exactly predicted the way most people in other parts of the world would react, when they come to know about such a massacre.

I realised that a million lives is about 5 times or so the number of lives lost in the tsunami(Dec 26,2004). No natural phenomenon, or force of nature can take away as many lives as the weapons of hatred or men at war can snatch. So tell me who is our greatest enemy ?

This inspiring movie is about Paul Rusesabagina, a hotel manager from Kigali, Rwanda who saves more than a 1000 people from certain death, at the hands of the opposing militiamen. Watching the movie , made me feel a lot more connected with the brutality and pain endured by the survivors, and also a few good lessons about resoursefulness and hope.

Having watched Schindler's List last week for the first time, and this one now, you can guess the state of mind now..

If you are of the kind who looks for much more than just entertainment in a movie, watch this one.

And for Nshakabatenda Ramadhani , Nzamutuma Ismael, and Nyandwi Alphonse who narrated the happenings of the war to me... I now understand..!

No comments: